Friday, January 16, 2009

some favorites

  • Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series
  • PG Wodehouse: many many titles
  • Jane Austen's 6 novels
  • Ring Lardner: You Know Me Al
  • Josephine Tey: The Franchise Affair; Brat Farrar
  • The Provincial Lady in America by E. M. Delafield
  • George Smiley books by John le Carre
  • A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
  • Colin Dexter: Inspector Morse mysteries
  • Agatha Christie (esp. Miss Marple)
  • Wilkie Collins: The Moonstone; The Woman in White
  • Ngaio Marsh mysteries
  • Bruce Marshall: The World, The Flesh, and Father Smith
  • Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight
  • James Herriot: All Creatures Great and Small series
  • Thomas Hardy: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  • Charles Dickens

2 comments:

Marianne said...

You just reminded me of lots of my favorite books. Can never think of them. I should make a list like this. I think you might like the Jacqeline Winspear books but I get a little irritated with Maisy's New Agieness later in the series.

Jill said...

Mairanne, thanks for the comment. I'll try the earlier Maisy Dodd books. This happens in so many mystery series - the earlier books are better.

Let me know if you make your own list. I'd like to see it.
Now that I have mine here, I never have to say "I've got nothing to read!"